Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Things that make you go "Hmmm" or "What?!"


Simplify Your Life - that is the topic I have been given to speak on at Stake Woman's Conference on March 7th. Yeah, go ahead and reread that last sentence if you need to. Think it's hard for you to wrap your mind around the idea that I was chosen to speak at Stake Woman's Conference? I have only been able to utter four words for the last four days, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME????" And I get to speak twice!!!! For 25 minutes each! After the keynote speaker they are having different speakers do 30 minute classes, and the women get to choose two to attend. So I will speak on my topic twice. This really isn't simplifying my life right now, in fact, life suddenly seems waaay more complicated.
However, I knew the moment I got the topic the direction it would go. I love the picture of Christ standing at the door and knocking. I love that you see a light on inside. And I have often wondered what is going on on the other side of that door. I picture boxes and boxes littering the floor and in front of the door. The tv and the computer are both on. And a woman standing frazzled in the middle. The tv and the computer represent the world constantly trying to drown out the knocking at the door. The boxes are full of our own junk and clutter that we have allowed ourselves to accumulate and build up a barrier between ourselves and the savior. They are full of grudges, hurt, sin, yesterdays, wants, jealousy, depression, as well as material things. If we could pull ourselves to the door we would learn that the savior wants to help carry the boxes out with us. But instead we stand there afraid to open the door so He won't see the huge mess we created. Or perhaps just trying to find the door in our mess seems too overwhelming. So I'll be talking about simplifying both our homes and lives so that we are free to get to that door and keep it open for all that is waiting for us just outside the door.
So, what do you think?

10 comments:

princesshaibell said...

I think you are awesome. Love it hon!

Melissa said...

My first thought is "I'm glad it's you and not me"...LOL...but my next thought is "That is so awesome, I never thought of it that way. Can I come and listen to the other 25 minutes?" You will be great!

grandma w. said...

I love that comparison and agree that it is so important to get rid of both kinds of clutter. You are awesome and will do wonderful. Wish I could be there too. I think they made a wonderful choice. Mom

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Oh Aj! I think your ideas are awesome! Sounds like you were the right pick. :)

Wendy said...

You will be the perfect speaker for that topic. Will you let us who won't be there read your talk? What about recording it for us? I would love to hear it. I think we all could learn so much from you!! You are wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

You have some great ideas there. I really enjoyed reading this post.

Angie said...

You are going to do such a great job! Your ideas and great, and you are awesome with presentation! Can't wait to hear it!

Jenn said...

You definitely are blessed to be a lady with a vision. It seems in the times I am around you that you know what you are doing and where you are going with it, whatever you happen to be doing. :^>

May you be blessed with the Spirit as you present your message.

Blake Family said...

You are a good speaker. I don't find it hard to believe you were asked. Looking forward to it.

Campbell clan said...

I want to come!
I don't think you have anything to worry about. You've already got an EXCELLENT foundation and if you are still the way I remember - 25 minutes is nothing. Have fun - you'll be great!