I laughed out loud when on my friend's blog she wrote that one of her quirks was how much she hated wrinkly, pruney fingers and toes after being in a long bath. She said she can't stand to look at her kids pruny hands and feet. I laughed because that is something I love. I tell my kids they turned into raisins and I kiss and bite each of their fingers and toes. My same friend gave me a bizarre look when I shoved a handful of Trisket crackers right into my purse without bagging them up first. I guess that is why we call them quirks. They are ours alone. They make us unique and we each have them. Some of mine (besides the messy crumb laden purse)...
1. I am terrified of drive thru windows. Seriously, I HATE them. I have probably driven myself through a fast food drive thru maybe twice in the last five years. I have been the passenger, but if I am driving and have any control over the situaution I go inside. This is odd because I worked a drive thru window for over a year in high school. I can do it at the pharmacy and bank, but if i have to give an order, and then be given a total i don't already know ahead of time it just seriusly bothers me. i feel rushed and out of control of the situation. Don't judge me, you have quirks too.
2. I bathe twice a day. Not because I need to, mind you. I shower every morning and I always soak in a hot bath before bed.
3. I eat with my hands whenever possible. Ok, obviously not ice cream and soup, but my husband still has to kick me under the table at company dinners if I start to eat my salad or steak without a fork. I try to use utensils when in public, but I guess I am just a hands on kind of girl. My parents always told me that no boy would ever ask me out on a second date much less marry me if I didnt learn to use a fork and eat properly. Ha!
4. I can't stand papers or clutter on kitchen counters. That is why I have 2 junk drawers to stuff things into. It really irks me. Counters should be completely clear as much as possible, except maybe a toaster and blender and utensil holder. Otherwise, put the clutter and appliances away. And especially paper. I find myslef putting other peoples scattered papers into one pile in a back corner of their kitchen.I am sure it drives them nuts but those papers just dont belong there. I also like the cushions always in the right place on the couch and the rug parallel to the fireplace. If they aren't I fix them immediately. Hey, my cupboards and closets are a truly a disorganized mess, but I am neurotic about clutter and disharmony in my open living spaces.
5. I like to clean my house without clothes on. (This is one quirk i can only share because my blog is private and I know who reads it.) Don't worry I usually still have my garments on, but in the morning after my shower and before I get dressed at all is usually when I feel like scrubbing the bathrooms. At least i dont get my clothes wet when I scrub the tubs and showers. My husband has a big problem with this because I have the blinds open as I do this. Seriously, the guy in the house behind me can see much better bodies from his living room on his computer. I really doubt he's checking out the gravity stricken middle aged mother of five screaming at the central vac system as she vaccumed up another polly pocket while standing in the buff in her living room.
6. I have no problems eating things that have fallen on the floor. I also let my kids eat them. It doesn't gross me out. Maybe it should, but it doesn't.
7. I wash my sheets twice a week. I like clean sheets, okay. And they have to come straight from the dryer. I keep extra sheets in the linen closet, but i wont put sheets on my bed unless they are fresh from the laundry. No, i don't iron them. But seriously after three days i need the smell and feel of clean sheets or i physically can't sleep. and if I stay at your house and your sheets have "that cupboard smell", Well I'll go wash the sheets for you.
8. I hate to shop. I cannot make decisions and I hate to spend money. My husband picks out all our cars and furniture because I get physically ill when making big ticket purchases. Thankfully, he has good taste. I have to chew gum when I shop. It relieves anxiety when spending money. I rarely buy things if they aren't on sale. This can be a positive. I am very money savvy, but beyond my own good. I do love to take vacations, but I always get a deal too. I especially hate to clothes shop for myself and to grocery shop. I am the queen of saying "I have to think about it" and then when i go back it's not there. I tell myself it wasn't meant to be and move on with life.
9. I have to sleep on the side of the bed that is closest to the door. This started after we had kids so i could get to them faster if they cried/woke up. It's habit now, so even when we travel, right or left side, it doesn't matter, but the side that is closest to the door/children, well, thay's my side (and i hope it has clean sheets too.)
So, I eat things off the floor and with my hands instead of with a fork. At least I am clean and bathe twice a day and sleep in clean sheets. And while I may clean my house au naturel, at least I am taking time to clean my house where you know the piilows will be fluffed, the vaccuum lines straight and the counters clear of mail. And the next time you wait in a looong line at the drive thru, you'll be thankful I went inside instead.
Hope we can still be friends. What are your quirks?????
2 comments:
AJ, you crack me up! I loved this post. And if I remember right, I only came to your house maybe once in HS, but we were not allowed to walk on the carpet...because it had the lines in it?? Did your mom rake the carpets so the lines would be straight??! I'll still be your friend...quirks and all! hehe
And that would be why we never went to my house in High School. My mom would vaccuum 3x a day just so the lines would all be perfect. I only vaccuum once a day and I don't care if anyone walks on it, unlike my mom. But the straight lines thing stuck with me after years of having to learn to vaccuum to my moms standards. I can't believe you remember that. (Funny though, I remember you coming over too- with Dawn and Holly. You guys bought me a box set of Jack Weyland books for my birthday. I still have them in my bookcase :o)
Post a Comment