"Hello?"
"I'm sorry, I must have dialed the wrong number."
"Maybe it's the right number and you just don't know it yet."
A misdialed phone number reminded me of a special little story involving fate. I first moved to Idaho when I was 15. Our phone number used to belong to another family - the Whiting's. (Not the exact Whiting's that I married into, but still Whiting's.) So we got phone calls all the time asking if this was the Whiting home? "No'" I'd answer, but perhaps if fate had let me in a little on the future, I could have more correctly responded, "Not yet."
The best part was going to the video store to rent movies. Everytime that I gave my phone number, the clerk would respond "Whiting?" And I would reply, "No, Blackmer." If I had only known then what fate was trying to tell me, I could have gotten engaged 2 times less, and kissed a lot less boys. But where is the fun in that?
The video store did go out of business about the same time I met Jon. Five weeks later we were engaged and a wedding planner had moved into the old video store space. Yes, that wedding planner planned the wedding that officialy made me a Whiting.
So when the phone rang the other day looking for Aloha Whiting, my mind began to race. Am I pregnant? Is it a girl? Would we ever name a girl Aloha? Is she a future granddaughter? Is she my future daughter in law? Will the wedding be in the Hawaii Temple?
4 comments:
Aloha! Honey, I sure love you and am glad that you are mine. :-)
You are so funny, AJ! I love how open you are to creative names for your kids. I am amazed at the Whiting's who used to have the same # as you - how's that for ironic?
You, are awesome. Find the good in life, that is what you teach me every day.
What a fun story!! I see you have a Hailey... we have a Haley! What a cute couple the two of you were back in the day. I don't think you even had kids when we saw you last... was that in the 6th ward? Thanks for inviting me to your blog. Maybe we'll see you around town!
Post a Comment