Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fourth of July Weekend


We started the weekend with the annual ward breakfast on the lawn of the church building. Afterwards, we packed up and headed out to Grandma and Grandpa's house to do a little camping with friends. They are currently on a mission in Corsicana, Texas, and their neighbors, Aunt Megan and Uncle Milton were out of town, so we had acres of green grass, the sheep and the chickens all to ourselves. We brought out the slippy slide and had a slip slidin' good time. I am happy to report that the years (and gravity) have had little effect on my abilty to rule the slippy slide world. We had a huge campfire with smores and lit sparklers. my favorite line of the weekend was when i was putting marshmallows on Aubree's roasting stick. She said, "Thanks Mom. You're a genius." Man, I love that girl.



There were tons of illegal fireworks being shot all around us and a nice fireworks show being put on at the high school a few miles down the road. We were able to sit around the fire and watch them all. The girls even decided to sleep under the stars and fell asleep watching them.



We came home Saturday afternoon, cleaned up, and then went swimming in our friend's pool. We lit all our fireworks that night in their cul de sac. The kids really enjoying doing some bad dancing in slow motion in front of the strobe light firecrackers.

Sunday morning was Jon's first day to conduct Sacrament meeting. He was awesome, but his son missed him terribly and refused to fall asleep for me. I took him out in the hall and held him really tight. When Jon does this Ethan falls asleep in less that five minutes. Instead, Ethan cried, screamed, and kicked for over 20 minutes. Then be bit me. then his diaper leaked and just soaked the side of my shirt. I found myself bargaining out loud with the picture of Christ in the foyer, begging that my little one would please fall asleep. Just as I was contemplating setting him in the chair and walking out of the building and never coming back, I heard a wonderful man bearing his testimony saying, "If any of you mothers are struggling with motherhood..." I thought please say something to inspire me. I am struggling, answer my prayer. Then he continued "...Just look to the wives of these three fine men." I knew he was pointing to the bishopric, my husband included. While that was a very sweet thing to say, I found myself laughing out loud harder than I have in a while, and loudly exclaiming "Are you kidding me?! Me? I'm the epitomy of good mothering?!" At least I was able to laugh my way out of a rough moment, so it truly was an answer to a prayer.

A few minutes later my angel was fast asleep. I came back in to find my 5 year old had fallen asleep sitting up and my two oldest blowing on her head to make it move from one shoulder to the other. Yes I am a wonderful example of motherhood. Actually, I do adore my children and love the adventure they bring to me every day. But I also stand by the ageless philosophy-


"Raising children is like being slowy pecked to death by chickens."


So when it starts to hurt, instead of crying or screaming, just laugh and tell yourself it tickles. Laughing at our children, and at ourselves, is the best way to keep them and us from needing therapy later. And its good for the ab muscles, too.

No comments: